Safe storage of RW
FSUE RADON performs processing and conditioning of RW for long-term safe storage. Services rendered include as follows:
- development of a method ensuring preservation of "historic" storage facilities;
- development of a method ensuring final isolation of RW;
- creation of storage facilities of a new type;
Besides, RADON performs complex monitoring of storage facilities for RW, and makes an assessment of radiation safety at nuclear-hazardous facilities.
Development of a method ensuring preservation of "historic" storage facilities
- Elimination of faults with engineered barriers accumulated during long-term localization of RW at storage facilities.
- Development and optimization of design for the upper multi-functional coating of storage facilities.
- Creation of a monitoring system for RW body and for the multi-functional coating.
Creation of storage facilities of a new type
Preparation of technical proposals on construction and operation of storage facilities as large diameter wells
- Determination of parameters for basic structural elements of storage facility depending on mine engineering conditions;
- Organization of work on construction site (including work in tense conditions such as operating surface storage facilities);
- Choice of load-lifting facilities and of non-standard equipment for RW loading into and unloading from storage facility;
- Installation and adjustment of automated system to monitor air-tightness at storage facility and pump out water (if required).
Storage facilities in details...
Complex monitoring of RW storages and assessment of radiation safety at nuclear-hazardous facilities
- Collection and analysis of input data for safety assessment including filtration and sorption experiments in laboratory conditions and in situ;
- Forecasts of radionuclides migration, and assessment of radiation environment for normal operating conditions and for evolution of engineered barriers;
- Safety assessment including elaboration of assessment context, scenarios, models, and also estimated calculations and analysis of results obtained;
- Determination of maximal RW activity for RW mortuaries/sites for long-term storage of RW based on safety assessment;
- Grounds for possible extension of service lives for operating RW storage facilities;
- Investigation of physical degradation of matrix material and of storage facilities structures;
- Assessment concerning distribution of radionuclides and total residual activity within storage facility;
- Investigation of geochemical conditions within storage facility and in soils of the border zone;
- Assessment of migration processes and of radiological hazard at storage facility;
- Creation of geomonitoring system.